Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Do you remember which books you first bought from us?

Dear ABC,

I am an American academic who moved to Amsterdam on June 1, 1972. Since 1955 I have also been an avid reader of Science Fiction; a true fan. Upon my arrival her, the only English-language source of SF was the meager selection stocked by the Bruna boekhandel in the Leidsestraat. I desired something more extensive, and was tremendously delighted when the "American Discount" opened, not long after my move to the Netherlands. What delighted me the most was the truly excellent selection of SF books. I was probably one of your first customers. I still am no doubt one of your most faithful.

If I remember correctly, the first book I bought from you was one of Samuel R. Delany's fine SF novels. I kept on going from there and haven't stopped. I visit your store at least once per week or once per two weeks. Since 1972 my tastes have changed from American SF to the most recent British stuff. The UK is now world leader in innovative SF. It's no doubt thanks to Karin's fine taste that I have been able to keep up with this and other developments. I am almost 64 and your Monday discount for people over 55 is a great help. Do keep up your wonderful selection in your new location. All the best of luck with your move.

Yours, George Berger

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi

I remember my first book: 'Into the Bermuda traingle'by Gian Quasar in 2004.
Yes, that was my first book. I am a big fan of your 'controversial knowledge' section.I love reading about aliens,UFOS ,supernatural mysteries etc. I bought many books fron that section later. I also like mythology.

karthik venkatramani

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The First book i bought at abc was Princess in Pink and Princess in Training from Meg Cabot, my all time favourite author!

Mia

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home